Your living room should be a place for relaxation and comfort. It’s a space where you can kick back and escape the stresses of daily life. When designing your living room, it’s important to make sure that it has all the elements necessary to create a cozy and restful environment. In this blog post, we’ll discuss some of the most important design elements to consider when creating your perfect living room!
CONSTRUCTION & FINISHING ELEMENTS
- Highlight Historic Architecture – Renovating a historic Tampa home? Preserve period architecture such as millwork and paneling and complement it with more contemporary furnishings. The two work together to create a unique, inviting space you and your guests will enjoy.
- Add Textured Paneling to the walls – Shiplap and Board & Batten are great examples of what can be used to add texture to your living room walls. Many homeowners do this to create that nostalgic, old-Florida look.
- Incorporate Natural Wood Elements – For larger more open rooms where you want to be more informal and relaxed, consider installing large beams, plank walls, or raw oak floors for that organic element that reminds you of nature.
- Opt for Deep, Dark-hued Walls – Though all-white walls are still extremely popular, deep, dark-hued interiors are on the rise. Dark walls, or even just a dark accent wall, create a sense of intimacy. While it can seem like dark paint in a living room would feel heavy or dim, it can be quite the opposite! In a room where the walls are dark, but the trim is light, the contrast brings focus to the light from the windows. The room will still feel airy and bright.
- Don’t Forget About Lighting – Soft, ambient lighting will help to create a warm and comfortable atmosphere in your living room. In addition to recessed lighting that you’ve likely had a licensed Tampa Bay contractor or electrician install, consider additional lighting sources such as candles, table lamps, and floor lamps to increase the coziness factor.
INTERIOR DESIGN ELEMENTS
- Choose the Right Furniture – One of the most important details of a cozy living room is the furniture! You want to make sure that you have comfortable seating that you can sink into after a long day. A sizeable sofa or sectional, armchairs, and ottomans are all great options. Another important element to consider is your coffee table. You want to make sure that it is the perfect height for your seating area and that it has enough surface area for you to put your feet up or set down a drink.
- Make Your Fireplace the Focal Point – if you’re fortunate enough to have a fireplace in your living room, make it stand out! If it’s outdated, give it a fresh coat of paint, or revamp it entirely. A fire on those rare but much anticipated cold Florida evenings will certainly achieve those warm and fuzzy feelings.
- Make the Space Your Own – Fill the room with framed pictures of family and friends, beloved artwork, throw blankets and accent pillows to match your taste, and some live plants for a little greenery. Adding a personal touch will make it the coziest, most used room in the house.
So, there you have it! These are just a few design elements to consider when creating a cozy and restful living room. By incorporating some of these elements into your design, the result will be a living space that you’ll love coming home to everyday.
Our team at Rossi Construction would enjoy the opportunity to provide you with an estimate for your living room project. Visit our website or call us today at 813-436-0177. Do you have any other tips for creating a cozy living room? Tell us in the comments!