Kitchen renovations are one of the most common home renovation projects homeowners choose for an updated space and to increase property value. There are many factors to a successful kitchen renovation and kitchen renovation mistakes can be costly. In this blog post, we’ll discuss some of the most common kitchen renovation mistakes, and how to avoid them. By following these tips, you can ensure a successful and stress-free kitchen renovation project!
- Not Laying Out the Kitchen in Detail – One of the most common kitchen renovation mistakes is not properly planning the layout of the kitchen. Before starting any demolition or construction, it’s important to plan the layout of your kitchen in detail. This means considering the placement of appliances, countertops, cabinets, and other features. Appliances should be near the food prep counter for example. By doing this ahead of time, you can avoid costly mistakes and re-work. A licensed construction company will ensure no detail is missed.
- Insufficient Storage and Counter Space – Many homeowners underestimate the amount of counter and storage space they require. Think about how you’ll be using your kitchen – What cooking devices do you use regularly that may need to be set on the counter and which ones can be tucked away for occasional use? An ideal kitchen remodeling project includes plenty of countertop space and storage solutions that are adequate for you and your family’s needs. A professional Tampa kitchen remodeling contractor will help you plan for storage solutions such as a bigger pantry, shelving, or cabinets dedicated to storage.
- Not Considering Where You’ll Need Lighting & What Type – Another kitchen renovation mistake is not considering the lighting. Lighting is an important part of any kitchen, and it’s important to plan for it during the renovation process. Consider the placement of windows, skylights, and artificial lighting fixtures to create a bright and functional kitchen space. Effective lighting not only makes it possible to prepare meals more easily but also adds to the overall aesthetics. There should be specific lighting for illuminating the room, over the stove and food prep areas, and under the cabinets.
- Blowing the Budget – This is a kitchen renovation mistake that comes up often – forgetting to budget for unexpected costs. kitchen renovations can be expensive, and there are always potential unforeseen costs. Be sure to set aside a contingency fund to cover any unexpected expenses that may occur during the renovation process. Only you can determine your budget! Evaluate your finances, home value, and overall goals. Contemplate your needs versus your wants to determine what kitchen features will make the final cut.
- Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Remodeling – Many homeowners are perfectly capable of navigating a simple DIY home project. However, a complete kitchen renovation is a big undertaking, and important steps could be missed, affecting the outcome of the project. Unless you’re a general contractor, you should work with a licensed professional for the demolition and construction, plumbing, electrical, and so forth. It could cost you more in the end if you attempt to do it yourself first. Not only will the new kitchen look polished, but it will be safe and fully functional.
By following these tips, you can avoid common kitchen renovation mistakes for a successful kitchen renovation project!
Rossi Construction offers unparalleled kitchen remodeling throughout the Tampa Bay area. Our expert design and construction team handles every detail of the kitchen remodeling process, from the initial design through the last coat of paint and light fixture installation. Trust us to provide an extraordinary kitchen for cooking and gathering with your family and friends.
Contact us today at 813.436.0177 to discuss your ideas for a kitchen renovation and to schedule your free in-home estimate.